- Social media strategist
- 2007 PRWeek Young PR Professional of the Year
- Contributor to popular social networking blog, Mashable
- Amateur photographer
My name is Aaron Uhrmacher and this is (one of) my blog(s).
I received a masters degree from NYU’s Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP), where I studied the ways that bleeding edge technologies are revolutionizing how we communicate. My graduate work focused on rapid prototyping mobile, web and VOIP applications across a variety of fields.
Previously, I served as the global lead for Text 100 Public Relations social media practice, directing both the internal and external strategic development of the company’s work in this area.
I’ve consulted with many of the world’s largest brands to create successful online community engagement strategies across platforms ranging from blogs to virtual worlds and everything in between. I consult on topics such as social media policy creation, internal best practices, Twitter for business, blogger relations and online community building.
As a leader in the application of virtual worlds for communications, I facilitated the MacArthur Foundation’s launch of its digital learning initiative simultaneously in real life and Second Life. Additional virtual world work includes Manpower, IBM and Xerox.
My social media work has earned several industry awards, including PRWeek’s Top 10 Rising Stars and the PRWeek Young PR Professional of the Year. I’ve also received the O’Dwyer Award for Excellence in Public Communication in International PR (June, 2006) and was a Silver Sabre Finalist (2005).
Thanks to the high positive feedback from participants, I received the International Association of Business Communicators “recommended speaker” designation in 2008. And along with Paull Young, I am the co-founder of Social Media Breakfast NYC, a monthly gathering of the corporate social media community in New York.
Below is a partial list of clients with whom I’ve worked on social media training and strategy development and PR related initiatives:
ABOUT THIS BLOG
DISRUPTology is my personal blog about the intersection of social media (blogs, wikis, social networking environments and virtual worlds) and communications, specifically as it relates to business. You can find a selection of social media related posts shared on my Tumblr site or via Twitter.
- Bridging the Generation Gap Helps Agencies: Ten Tips for Working with Millennials ( The Firm Voice)
- How to Find Statistics on Social Media (Mashable)
- 40+ Topics for Corporate Bloggers (Mashable)
- How to Measure Social Media ROI for Business (Mashable)
- How to Turn Your Business Trip Into a Social Media Experience (Mashable)
- 35 Examples of Corporate Social Media in Action (Mashable)
- How to Track 500 Business Blogs in 10 Minutes a Day (Mashable)
- How to Develope a Social Media Plan for Your Business in 5 Steps (Mashable)
- How to Live Blog a Conference (Mashable)
From August – October 2009, Shutterstock provided me access to their image database to find and use images on this blog at no charge. I have used those images and given attribution when appropriate.